Black Mold Remediation on a Log Cabin
Poor interior ventilation has allowed moisture to remain on this tongue and groove pine board ceiling. With a combination biological matter in the wood, heat and moisture, mold has been accumulating.
A quick light spray of hydrogen peroxide on the affected areas kills the mold. In a few minutes, we scrub it down to remove any mold in the grooves and then follow up with a sponge bath of distilled white vinegar to clean any remaining areas. This solution is preferred over using a harsh chemical like bleach.
In some areas, mold will have permanently stained the wood within the fibers and will remain visible despite the spores having been eliminated. Short of a complete replacement, these small stains may remain as they are under the original urethane and some growth may reappear in the future.
As this particular homeowner will probably replace the roof in the next two years, they have decided to wait on ceiling replacement until then.